Saturday 19 January 2013

Another day in Bright

Today was the day when I had to get my hair cut. In any normal situation this would be a relatively easy exercise, but in Bright there is no men's hairdressers. However, Mike knows a chap who does haircuts from home called Ralph. So Mike rings him up and yes he can fit me in half an hour.
So thirty minutes later we head off in the car to a private house on the other side of town. Ralph turns out to be an Italian who has a two acre garden, makes his own wine and grappa and has cut hair for fifty years.
On arrival we are directed to a utility room which has a proper barber's chair, sanitizer and mirror. Ralph then gets to work, the cape is wielded in matador way and the cut begins. At this time I realised that my understanding of Ralph's English left quite a lot to be desired. Mike and I between us made him understand I wanted some of the length taken out of it and that I wanted a straight edge across the neck.
All proceeded fairly well until the straight edge when Ralph decided to tell Mike that my hair wasn't growing on one side and therefore the straight edge would need to be higher than he wanted.
Mike pointed out to him that he was under direct instructions not to have my hair cut too short as Rosemarie would never forgive him and the result was a lengthy discussion. Finally I emerged with much shorter hair and a feeling of great accomplishment.
Rosemarie and I went for a drive just before lunch up Mount Buffalo where we enjoyed the view and the afternoon was spent watching tennis again. Enough is enough, grown men and women thrashing the ball as hard as they can fills me with an impending sense of boredom and ennui. I managed two hours and then went to be to read my book.
The whole day was hot getting up to 39/40C so the afternoon in general was a washout with out any water being employed. It was not as aggressively hot as it  had been in Sydney but it was still hot enough to make one seek cover. All in all another quiet day in Bright. we did enjoy the demolition of Australia by Sri Lanka in the one day international and in the evening we went out to the pub in Porepunkah where we had a a really good meal. After the meal we came back to the house to endure more tennis and again I
Capitulated and went off to read my book, luckily the plot is quite interesting.


         

No comments:

Post a Comment