Tuesday 5 February 2013

What is it that will make 30 people come to listen to me talk on a Saturday afternoon?
Saturday morning was cold and we were up and washed and dressed fairly quickly. Rennie drove us down to Salamanca market where we met Guilia and Simon for a cup of coffee and what turned out to be breakfast. Rosemarie and I having eaten at Rennie's chose the savoury muffin which when it arrived turned out to the largest muffin in the world. It spread across the plate like the fall out from a nuclear explosion.
In fact it was so large that we couldn't eat all of it and had to leave some. After breakfast Rennie's had to go and do some shopping, so we said we would wander the market and meet him by the apple stall. This would have been a perfectly fine arrangement had an apple stall existed in the market! Rosemarie and I strolled the market from one end of the market to the other in search of the said stall and in the end had to ring Rennie to find out where he was. He swore blind that this was the first time that the apple man hadn't been there.
After the market we drove up Mount Wellington where the view was fantastic. Lunch at Rennie's followed and then Rennie took on the serious responsibility of getting me to the venue on time.
He achieved this in style and the talks went very well. Everyone concerned seemed very pleased. In the evening we attended the concert and I took part in a question panel session where I had to listen very carefully to all of the questions, many of which featured Australian issues which I found very difficult to get a grasp on. Luckily I seem to have done reasonably well and there are no hunting parties out looking for my scalp.
By midnight I was extremely tired and grateful when Rennie said we could go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment