Thursday 28 March 2013

Tuesday A day of jubilation and disaster

Behind the scenes there has been a great deal of secret planning to get Andy to Emma's wedding in England in June and the master planner has been very heavily involved. So in the morning we went off to the travel agent to book his flight. As it transpired we put his flight in hold for twenty four hours to see if we could achieve a better deal on the Interweb.
We returned home complete with passport form, as his passport had expired and when he returned home for lunch he was presented with a fait accompli. He was genuinely surprised and overcome. After lunch I took Andy back to work and drove the car home again as we needed it in the afternoon.
We needed to go to a supermarket ket to do some shopping and so we set off joyous at our success at stunning Andrew. I parked n the supermarket car park so that I and to back out at ninety degrees.
The shopping was successfully accomplished and on our return to the car we stowed the shopping and I set out to get the car out of a tight spot.

The blog has been very honest and this is the point where I castigate myself. As I started to reverse, Rosemarie n the back seat alerted me to a white car approaching from my left so I turned to keep an eye on that and in doing so reversed straight into a red car parked illegally behind me which I didn't see. So there I was devastated , we stopped to inspect the damage , a severely dented front wing and left a not to apologise and to leave our telephone number so that the the owner could contact us.In thousands of kilometres of driving this was my first incident and I was really upset with myself. In fact I was nigh on inconsolable. As Sally pointed out , no one was hurt, the car was parked in an illegal position, certainly not in an allocated parking space, and no one else in the car had seen it. None of that made me feel any better.

Meanwhile the test with New Zealand was going on and England were in a desperate position holding on for a draw.so on our return home we we watched that for a long time before heading off to Andy's place of work to join him and some of the residents for fine dining. I felt awful having to speak to Andy about the accident but he was very forgiving. We watched the last few balls of the test and England hung out for a draw, it seemed to me that the whole country had stopped to watch the last thirty minutes or so of an absorbing contest.
The meal was good although I was so angry with myself I didn't feel like eating and Sally gave me a good telling off. It is amazing even though I knew  I was insured how low this incident brought me.
I didn't even pick up when we got home.
I have tried to be very honest about what happened here, and what I felt, it would be easy to have ignored this incident, and certainly there is nothing to laugh about in it. So I need to learn from my mistake and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment