Wednesday 18 November 2015

Saturday proved to be wet and miserable as storms hit Hobart. The rain and the wind put an end to our visit to Salamanca market across the bay, much to the dismay of the tour director who had been looking forward to perusing the market stalls. So we stayed in and I prepared again for the history school in the afternoon, which was probably needed. I had to cut my talk on the British Suffragettes down from an hour to thirty five minutes which was causing me some problems.
We had a quiet lunch at home before setting off to the Polish Club where the History School was to be held. We arrived about thirty minutes early and I was first on talking about why Britain sent political prisoners to the colonies, it all went well and the history speaker's manager was very pleased with it, so Brownie points all round.
The second session was on songs the convicts brought with them and I thoroughly enjoyed it before I launched into the Suffragettes. Halfway through that session the last speaker arrived and I had to truncate it even more, however it went fairly well. The last session was really interesting as it involved a producer director of a film coming out soon in Australia  which tells the story of some of the convicts.
At the end several people stayed behind to talk to me before we repaired to the organiser's house for a barbecue. I have to say it was a little cold outside and people sat around in their coats huddling beside a chimenea, it was all very like an English barbecue. However, it was a very enjoyable evening.
All in all I was pleased with the way the History school went, there about forty people there and from comments afterwards most people seemed to enjoy it. As a speaker that in itself is rewarding and the school raised about two hundred dollars towards a plaque to commemorate William Cuffay, a Chartist who was transported to Hobart for his part in the Orange Tree conspiracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment