Thursday 19 November 2015

Wednesday my stomach bug decided was the day it would really play up, I hadn't eaten all day Tuesday and didn't fancy anything at all for breakfast. We set of for home with me having serious doubts about the number of public toilets I had seen on the way up.
We stopped to get some bread rolls fro lunch and set off on the return journey. As there is only one road in and one road out it had to a journey on the same road.
The rain was spouting down, the mists had descended, the mountains were obscured and the road was slippy. To take my mind off my stomach I volunteered to drive the first couple of hours. We stopped for a twenty minute walk to Donachie's lookout, a somewhat uphill stroll which took it out of me but we made it and the views were magnificent. High mountains a verdant forest under a grey sky with swirling clouds.
We continued our journey to "The Wall" one man's artistic voyage, a huge  hundred metre wood carving each panel two metres high and a metre across. The quality of the wood carving was exceptional, and the story told was of how the early Australian pioneers had transformed the environment they discovered. The tour manager and I were awe struck.
Th carver of this masterpiece had never had a wood carving lesson in his life and that made it all the more remarkable.
The journey back to Hobart was uneventful although as soon as we got home I went to bed as the Australians would say feeling a little crook.
Without the aid of Rennie we would.not have made this trip and we are so grateful to him for organising it all, it was a tremendous experience and one which will stay with us for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment