Sunday 11 November 2012

It must be my face.

Walking to dinner a Cambodian stepped of the pavement to speak to us and I thought he was going to ask us if we wanted a Tuk Tuk , but no, he asked me if I would like some marijuana. This hasn't happened to me for at least thirty years and it came as something of a shock. Both of us were astounded, but of course this area of South East Asia is famous for its weed so maybe we shouldn't have been so suprised.
Our last night and morning in Cambodia were uneventful apart from when we got the airport the computer system was down so we spent some time just hanging around. We thought they were gong to have to hand write everything again, but no at the last moment the great computer god smiled benignly on them and breathed some life back into their system.
We had planned to take a taxi from the airport into Bangkok but as we were waiting on the bus for the long ride from the plane to the terminus we decided to take the sky train. What a good decision, every one was so helpful, for 90p each we transported at some speed to the station nearest to our hotel and we arrived with some ease. The worst part, although it was really exciting, was the steepness of the travelator in the airport. It was clearly designed for mountain goats and I had to hang on to our luggage trolley for dear life. I felt sorry for Rosemarie who volunteered to stand at the front of the trolley and hold the front suitcase on. We both said you could ski down the slope, in fact I think I have seen easier nursery slopes.
The taxi we picked up at the station didn't even get to change his meter from the 35 Baht minimum.So that shows how close we got to our hotel.
The staff at the hotel semed genuinely pleased to se us and welcomed us back, so we must have impressd them the last time.It is a very pleasant feeling to be welcomed back in that way.it must be our faces.
Why do some people in Bangkok think they have a right to drive their motorbikes on the pavement? Thiis is a severe threat to life and limb, especialy as the modern ones are so quiet.It might well be my defective hearing, but several times Rosemarie has had to pull me to one side to save my life. Nothing new there then!!

No comments:

Post a Comment